Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter skincare suggestions (face)

Here are a few tips to keep your skin in great shape for cold months.

1.  Sleep! This is important year-round to let everything regenerate and let your skin try to heal itself.  It knows how, and it tries, but you have to give it a chance!

Winter wishlist: An unlimited supply of chamomile tea! My mind gets all batty at night and has a hard time winding down when I should be getting to bed.  

2.  Get a humidifier, and keep it clean.  At the urging of my doctor, I will be getting my first humidifier this year (for Christmas,  I can't wait to use it!).  My whole outer casing hates cold, dry weather as much as my sinuses.  I asked for a warm-mist humidifier, because I assumed that it will be more comfortable than a cool-mist one, but who knows.  Make sure to clean your humidifier as directed, you don't want to breathe in bacteria, which grows in water.

3.  Water water water.  This is another year-round tip.  It is very important to stay hydrated from the inside-out.  In the summer you lose a lot of water from sweating and things of that nature.  In the winter, you probably feel more lethargic so it is hard to drink water all the time.  But you need to try to drink as much as possible to  deliver the water to your skin - the cold air is harsh!

4.  Take your vitamins, but consult your doctor first!  Make sure you keep up with eating fruits or otherwise getting your vitamins and minerals through supplements.  My skin really likes the summer, and I think the lack of Vitamin D from the short, overcast winter days has a negative effect of my skin.

Winter wishlist:  Y'all know I love my Dr. Eckstein.  The Active Concentrate Vitamin Complex is targeted toward skin suffering from cold weather.  I would love to try this!



5.  Exfoliate about once or twice or week.  I prefer to exfoliate at night because I don't want to expose my fresh skin to the winter weather, it will feel too tight.  It is important to exfoliate in order to clear away any dead skin cells that may clog up your pores and cause blemishes.  Sensitive skin can use a warm washcloth and more hardy skin can use an electronic skin brush.

Winter wishlist:  The DermaNew Facial Rejuvenation System.  I saw a review on YouTube from guru MissChievous, and became very interested.  I have a crappy brush I got years ago, so I want a newer, better one.  I don't use any products with it, so I would probably just use the microdermabrasion creme that comes with the system on my bikini line and underarms.  I don't want the Clarisonic one because in addition to being way too pricey, it looks like brush is too large and won't be comfortable going down the bridge of my nose and between my eyes. 



6. Moisturize like crazy.  Day and night.  Remember to keep lip balm in your purse and in your work space.  You have a favorite primer, put that on before leaving the house in the morning.

What I have used and loved:  Korres facial moisturizers.  I wholeheartedly recommend this line.  My skin reacts badly to a lot of products, but it loves everything from Korres, and I have tried a lot!  Last year I used and loved the Alpine Herbs Anti-Stress moisturizer (it's actually for anti-aging, didn't know that when I bought it!), but it looks like it has been discontinued.  And if you sign up for their e-mails or follow them on Twitter you can be privy to the specials that they have quite frequently.



For my lips I am exclusive to Alba Botanica's Coconut Cream lip balm.  I have tried others from AB, Korres, Yes to Carrots!, etc. but this is the best for my lips.


photos courtesy of ecksteinusa.com, dermstore.com, amazon.com, and albabotanica.com

No comments: