Monday, December 14, 2009

Winter hair care suggestions


You've probably heard it all before, but in my opinion, you only need three things to worry about to keep your hair healthy.

1. Deep condition 1-2 times a week with a moisturizing treatment.  This can include an oil treatment before shampooing.  You want to concentrate on products that moisturize, rather than strengthen, but those of us with color-treated or otherwise chemically altered hair needs the repair mask every once and a while no matter the season.  When I use a protein conditioner, I usually follow with a regular moisturizing conditioner (Trader Joe's NourishSpa!!!). During the winter, the air is drier than the summer, which is when you can expect quite a few humid days.  I usually deep condition by washing my hair, putting the treatment in my hair covered with a plastic cap, wrapping a big towel around my head, and leaving it on for at least 30 mins.  For pre-shampoo oil treatments, I first spray a tiny bit of water in my hair, then I apply the oil (most likely a mix of coconut, jojoba, and amla) and leave in for a few hours or overnight.  I usually get a more noticeable effect when I do the post-shampoo treatment.

What I have and love: Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Moisturizing Hair Mask and Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeeep Conditioner. Staples for many black women with natural hair. 
 
What I have and dislike: Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Treatment Masque.  I feel that it leaves buildup on my hair - it just feels icky after usage.  I love the smell though. 

Winter wishlist: Massato Treatment with Camelia and Shu Uemura Essence Absolue.

2. If you wear knit caps (gotta protect against sinus infections and colds, right?) and have any type of sewing skills, buy .25 - .5 of a yard of china silk and stitch a lining into the cap.

Winter wishlist: J.Crew ribbed cashmere cap (see above) and  Belfry Marion wool felt bow cloche (see below).  J.Crew makes awesome knits and a cloche would look fantastic with a low bun.  Most structured hats already come with a satin lining.  Unfortunately, my head is one of the largest heads you will ever see in your life so most hats don't fit! sad.




3.  When drying your hair, please protect your ends.  Cutting down on heat styling is one way to do so. Another option when straightening hair is to set on rollers and dry under a hooded dryer.  When I do that, I flat iron after fully drying between the roots and mid shaft and let my ends keep the curl from the rollers.  If you want your hair to be textured, set your hair in braids or twists. 

No comments: