Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Usefulness of the Internet


You can look up ingredients online.  Thank God!  I was browsing the beautyhabit sale, and thought the realhair real masque seemed pretty good! It boasted moringa, red seaweed, and babassu as some of the ingredients as well as other natural raw ingredients. But darling, I am a professional product junkie. Off to google I went before decided if this thing is worth $88 (on sale!, without the 20% code).    I surfed on to their website and woo-hoo, they listed the ingredients! I approved of the babassu and moringa oils being toward the top of the list, as well as other natural ingredients.  Then I saw sodium hydroxide close to the bottom.  And I thought to myself, "hmmm, isn't that what is in relaxers? can't be... this is a hair mask"and then I googled "sodium hydroxide" and yep, it's lye.  Since it is at the bottom of the list, that must mean there is a low amount in this product, but I assume it was put in to smooth the hair, but over time, it would probably destroy the health of your strands, right? 

Check the footage starting 54 seconds in about sodium hydroxide:



Get the fuck outta here! I am supposed to put a product with RAW sodium hydroxide on my head? NAH! I stopped using relaxers more than two years ago, mostly because of the strong chemicals that compose them.

Foolishness.

photo courtesy of beautyhabit.com

No comments: