Monday, November 23, 2009

Haute Cuisine in Spain


I caught a part of an episode of the Made in Spain series on PBS, and I had to go straight to google to find out about this restaurant in Roses called elBulli.   José Andrés is not only the host of the series, but he has quite a few restaurants in the Washington, DC area.  I liked Jaleo, I LOVED Café Atlántico, and I can't wait to go (sooner or later) to minibar.  The restaurants  he owns have the most exciting menus in the area.   Andrés studied under elBulli's chef Ferran Adrià, and the dishes he tried on the show looked absolutely amazing.   From what I gather, minibar is sort of an ode to elBulli's multiple bites that experiment with texture.  If you are a real foodie, you need to go directly to elBulli's general catalogue, which spans 1983-2005 and check out all of the pictures!   The post picture I chose was a Fresh Snack from 2003 and is the "deep-fried red mullet fishbone with its soup."  Other past dishes include monkfish with garlic, winkles and black trumpet mushrooms; scrambled egg with black truffle jus; popcorn cloud; fennel flower in tempura; crisp raviolo of soursop with coffee and lime; lamb’s brains with sea urchins and sea grape; baby monkfish with lemon-scented egg yolk, daisy buds, pine nut oil and hazelnut butter.  The list goes on.   I am the worst foodie in the world ( I hate soup, tomatoes, most cooked vegetables) but I do not find Olive Garden to be exotic and the concept of food as art is quite fascinating!  I think I will enjoy a trip to this once-in-a-lifetime restaurant.  One day...

In the mean time, check out a course-by-course review at amateurgormet.com.

No comments: