Monday, September 6, 2010

Fragrances for fall

Well, it is really chilly here in the mid-Atlantic region.  Before I concede and give up flat sandals, I will wear some heavier perfumes.  I want to talk about a few bottles that I own, as well as one that is on my wishlist.


I am not sure if I sensed the cooler weather coming, but I wore Dior Addict two or three times last week! And I hardly ever repeat a scent in the week,but after the first day  I could still smell it at the end of the day,and  I realized that I forgot how much I love this one.  I think I had it 2-3 years now.  Another fragrance from Dior that I want (other than Dior Homme) is Hypnotic Poison - another dark and sexy scent.  Comes as an eau de parfum and starts at $75.

top note - mandarin
heart note - queen of the night
base note - vanilla


The perfume I spritzed on today after I bathed was Gucci by Gucci edp concentrée.  The joys of having a sister in the beauty industry - part of her"swag" so she gave it to me a few years back.  Although it is a concentrated edp, it sits really close to my skin and is subtle but lingering.  Retails for $275.

top notes of pear and guava accord
heart notes of lily of the valley, tiare flower, and orange blossom 
base notes of patchouli, musk, and honey


 Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides.  Very simple, yet very luxurious, unique, and sensual.  Although it is an eau de toilette, this has some serious staying power.  After trying a sample at Lucky Scent I had to have it. $65!

notes: opoponax (sweet myrrh), amber, vanilla, sandalwood, benzoin, citrus


Another sample I got from Lucky Scent which is now on my full-bottle-worthy wishlist is Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque.  I was sooooo saddened when I read the review in Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's "Perfumes: The Guide" about how Caron "instituted a smoking ban" on Tabac Blond.  The next time I went to NY, I tried it and it definitely was not the same as before.  So now I have to live my life not owning that scent.  So I have been trying out different sweet, tobacco leaf scents, and Fumerie Turque is absolutely wonderful.  $150.

notes: Corinthian raisins, white honey, candied Turkish rose, Egyptian jasmine, smoked leather, beeswax, Balkan tobacco, Peru Balsam, patchouli, tonka bean, styrax, juniper tar oil.


Last, but not least, is mark. Karmala, which has sadly been discontinued.  But that is the nature of Avon's products, so one can't cry too much.  If I remember correctly, this was up for a fifi when it came out a few years back.  I like to spray this on my bed before turning in for the night.  It is very heavy and comforting.  Another Avon fragrance I want to try is Christian Lacroix Absynthe.  Don't sleep on Avon perfumes just because they are cheap!

Karmala notes:
Turkish myrrh
clover leaf
Tahitian candole flower
white heliotrope
white pepper
pink cassis


pictures lifted from sephora.com, nordstrom.com, luckyscent.com, and makeupalley.com

No comments: