Monday, March 28, 2011

Red Hair Color Maintenance


This weekend I watched Gilda for the millionth time, and while admiring Rita Hayworth as always (although the film is in black-and-white), I remembered that my dyed-red hair was looking pretty brown.  It's been 4 weeks since my last hair color appointment, so yesterday I refreshed my hair color with a cellophane, Stoken Gold in "Canela" (Spanish for "cinnamon").  This is a popular color on Round Brush's site (which specialized in products typically used in Dominican salons), so it is out of stock quite often.  I've only tried this color because my hair is a dark red, and I didn't want it to come out looking like Raggedy Ann's hair. 

Sebastian Cellophanes is probably the most well-recognized brand of cellophanes (which isn't really a big market, I can barely find more brands after searching on google). I have never used them, but  I saw them for sale on amazon.com, but there were no color descriptions.   I lucked out with google and found the descriptions on Ball Beauty, so if I ever purchase, I will probably go with "Red Red."  Here is the description:


Red Red is a deeply real red - nothing is more intense than the spicy shade of this femme fatale shade. Reminiscent of a glamorous, bygone era, this is the red that signals seduction. Depending on the actual shade, reds can intensify their ruby intrigue: darker red can obtain deeper tones: lighter reds can achieve a brighter shade. Golden girls can opt for a true burnished copper. 


The other shades of red that are available are "Hot Red" "Gold Red" and "Red Brunette."  Red hair color requires a lot of maintenance because it fades quickly and the more vibrant, the better.

Stoken Gold is $20 and is about 16 fl. ounces, and the Sebastian Laminates is $25-45 and contains 10.2 fl. ounces of product.  I am on my 2nd bottle of Stoken Gold, and will most likely repurchase.  But if it isn't in stock at Round Brush,  I will give Sebastian a try.  If it lasts longer than Stoken Gold, then it will be worth buying again.

No comments: