Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bill Cunningham New York - mini review






"Fashion is the armor to survive the reality of every day life! I don't think you can do away with it; it would be like doing away with civilization"

I have loved Bill Cunningham's narrated "On The Street" feature for a quite a while now.  I watch it every Sunday while eating breakfast.  He is a witty human encyclopedia of fashion and it is simply marvelous to listen to while hearing what he sees going on in real life.  The point of "On The Street"is to document what he sees going on in fashion and encourages the reader/listener to "have fun with it" - a great thing to think about every morning before facing the day.

I went to see "Bill Cunningham New York" this weekend with my boyfriend (who is not into fashion) and we both really enjoyed the film and loved Bill.  He seems very sweet, grounded, honest, and happy.  He is a man who loves his job as a documentarian and stays true to his values .  I think he is very admirable and I wish I could have such incredible insight on a subject that I love.

It was also very nice to see how he was treated among the fashion heavyweights - with total respect.  Going into what looked like a runway show, Anna Wintour only stopped for Bill to pose for a picture.  While he was patiently waiting to be let in to a show, another man rushed forward to the girl holding the clipboard  to let Bill in because he was "the most important person in the world."

Great movie.  The playlist for "On The Street" can be found on nytimes.com.

No comments: