Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall/Winter Hosiery: Hold-ups

Lately, I have been wearing hold-ups because it is chilly, but hasn't been so cold that I feel like I am catching a draft!  I already have too much hosiery, but I love looking at what's out there.  Although I will say that a few years ago I did learn  that I need lace-top because they have silicone backing that hold well against the skin.  The ones with the thick elastic just squeeze the hell out of my thighs and then roll down as the day progresses. So I recommend lace-top thigh-highs.  I have a couple different brands, and I can't say that I can tell the difference.

Pretty Polly has some nice hold-ups with a small lace band.  And how cute is their pin-up-inspired cover? $17.95


These Falke Peacock Top tights are so cute! and tempting! $49

These Charnos Ava hold-ups have a gorgeous floral motif as a "back seam" $22.85


I first heard about Secrets in Lace because Dita von Teese wears them because they are made in the traditional vintage style.  They also make a large variety of sizes.


Another great thing about thigh-highs is that it evokes a sexy/vintage feeling. Pin-up cartoons from the first half of the 1900's were mostly about showing women in their states of undress or undressing.  Whereas nowadays the image of thigh-high stocking tends to be only thought of as oversexualized, back then nylons were the only sheer leg coverings available.  And, with a casual look over pin-up illustrations from that time period, the act of showing the tops or putting them on was also considered sexy!

The Pin-up Source is a great source of vintage and contemporary pin-up cartoons, most of which are NOT SAFE FOR WORK.  And guess what? There were/are women pin-up artists too! I had no idea. After the jump are some illustrations with women wearing hold-ups that I like:



Bill Ward

(c) Bill Ward

Gil Elvgren
(c)  Louis F. Dow & Co

Joyce Ballantyne
(c) Brown & Bigelow
Zoë Mozert


photo credits: mytights.com, secretsinlace.com, and thepinupfiles.com

No comments: