Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Cleaning - Makeup

I used to be OBSESSSSSSED with makeup - eyeshadows and lipglosses galore.  Earlier this year I started my bedroom on a massive cleanup effort and realized I just liked to buy makeup.  I dumped all but 2 lipglosses, a bunch of palettes I never touched, and a ton of lipsticks I never wore.  I never wear makeup daily, just when I would go out.  Even then, I couldn't recreate the gorgeous and creative looks I had in mind while buying all that makeup! So now I just pared down to the basics and kept some other stuff for fun or if I ever feel like getting into a crazy mood (who am I kidding? lol).

So for a regular night out, here are The Basics:

Uneven skintone:  My skin tone is blotchy and I have dark circles, occasional blemishes, and a few acne scars, but I really don't feel like painting my skin with concealer, foundation, powder, etc., etc.  I've accepted that my face is imperfect, so now I just use a tinted moisturizer.  I've mentioned this before, but I love Youngblood Cosmetic's Mineral Radiance Moisture Tint.



Black eyeliner: This will always be a must for me.  When I first started wearing makeup, it was when I was 12 and it was just liquid eyeliner on my inner rim.  Not exactly a good look, but I learned from my mistakes! I have a few in my arsenal that I use depending on what's sharp or what sort of look I am going for.  I like Urban Decay's 24/7 Eye Pencils, Korres Soft eyeliner, and Guerlain Terracotta Loose Powder Kohl liner.





Black mascara: Like I said on a previous post, right now I am using LashBlast, but will be going back to Korres sometime soon, unless I decide to try another brand.



Lips: When the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars hit the Youtube gurus I was instantly smitten. I bought Tarred (black), NSFW (red), Pageant (bright pink), and Safety Orange.  This was back when they only had a few colors! I never really used them but recently found a combination that looks great on me: I mixed NSFW and Pageant (more red than pink) and added a drop of Tarred.  It created a gorgeous purple.  On a side note, I made the tragic mistake of buying a new blackberry without a flash (I thought a flash was standard, guess not) so I can't really snap any good pictures.



I mix the colors on a paper towel with a lip brush, paint on, blot a few times, apply again and blot again.  They will not stick if you just smear it on and go.



Eyebrows: My eyebrows disappear in photos if I don't fill them in, plus I think that it brings more character to my face when I'm trying to look good, lol.  I use the tools from the NYX eyebrow palette (small, stiff angled brush and a spooly) by touching the brush to black, grey, and dark brown eyeshadows. I actually started using the shadows instead of the eyebrow palette because, like the rest of NYX's products, the packaging broke.  The site says they are using new/different packaging but I would take that with a grain of salt.




photos lifted from: ybskin.com, urbandecay.com, korresusa.com, sephora.com, occmakeup.com, and nyxcosmetics.com

No comments: