Thursday, May 19, 2011

Summer Travels: The Carry-on

This LifeHacker article on "Five Multi-Use Items to Reduce Baggage While Traveling" made me think about what I need to pack for my two week trip that I will be taking on Saturday.  While the article doesn't help me much (for example, I carry a bar of olive oil based soap as a better "clean all" instead of a shampoo with sulfates), I did think about what is essential to my carry-on:

Hygiene items - samples of shampoo, conditioner, exfoliators, cleansers,and body lotion, as well as floss, toothbrush, small deodorant, and toothpaste
Underwear and one outfit - If my checked luggage gets lost, I would at least have this.
Reading Material and MP3 player with extra earbuds
All important documents - passport, maps, hotel reservations, etc.Chargers - you need to charge your electronics whenever you get a chance
Anything that I don't want to be lost forever
A snack

And about the carry-on itself, after years of traveling via plane, train, and bus, I found out that it is the best option to get bag that is as LIGHTWEIGHT as possible.  (This is the same for handbags for everyday use, which is why I made the switch to the Longchamp "Le Pliage" )  As you can see below, masculine luggage usually appeals to me - I currently use a black  nylon/faux leather bag from the men's section from H&M.  If you are going to be traveling for a long period of time, it would be best to carry a bag that is made out of durable nylon or something similar.  While leather usually looks great on your shoulder/arm, it hurts after a while.

Longchamp Le Pliage Large Folding Tote, $145: while I carry the medium hand-held one as a purse, it is best to use a bag that can go on your shoulder to have your hands free while checking in to airports, hotels, etc.



Ben Sherman Nylon Hold-All, $109:
Prada Roll Away Duffel Bag, $1,028: Prada is famous for their nylon bags, and this piece also comes with the choice to wheel it along!
 
Matt & Nat Check Holdall, $341.60:
Eastpak Authentic Holdall,  $66.47:

Tumi Alpha McGuire Duffel, $345: with tons of pockets - the best way to travel!

Topman Moroccan Holdall Bag, £66: if you must go for leather, this is a great "I've been around the world" bag.
 
Vivienne Westwood Leather Holdall,  $775.86: gorgeous in green (not pictured)



other stores to check for affordable options are Target, TJ Maxx, Loehmann's, H&M, Mango, and Zara.

photo credits: magnums.net, bluefly.com, asos.com, barneys.com, and topman.com

No comments: